Al Qaeda’s Yemen faction is working to free jailed militants as soon as possible, according to a statement posted online by Nasser al-Wuhayshi, a co-founder of the Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
Al Qaeda militants staged at least two prison breaks last month: in Iraq, Pakistan and possibly Libya.
In Iraq, 500 militants were freed during the prison, many of which were linked with Al Qaeda. The assailants behind the prison break in Libya were not immediately identified.
“The imprisonment will not last and the chains will be Read more…
U.S. intelligence agencies have said that several prisoners, who escaped in recent jail breakouts in the Middle East, might be aiding Al Qaeda terror group in conducting a terror strike on the American Embassy in Yemen.
Nasir al Wuhayshi, who runs the most dangerous branch of Al Qaeda, is believed to be behind the plot that involves explosive-laden truck bombs targeting U.S. missions, ABC News reports.
He is also suspected to be the mastermind behind the underwear bomb plan to bring down a U.S. aircraft.
The report further added that al Wuhayshi might get help from a large number of Al Qaeda prisoners, who have been freed from several prisons in the Middle East in past few weeks with the help of heavily armed militants.
Interpol reports there have been at least nine major prison breaks in the last month.
In Iraq, 500 jail inmates were freed, including 50 Al Qaeda militants.
In Libya, more than 1,000 prisoners were freed from a jail in Benghazi.
Another Taliban jailbreak in Pakistan freed nearly 250 convicts.
Michael Chertoff, former secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, said that the prisoners could possibly be suicide bombers or become combatants with bomb-making capabilities.
After the State Department ordered the evacuation of all non-essential personnel from Yemen because of an increased terror threat, a U.S. military cargo plane helped evacuate staff from the U.S. Embassy.
The U.S. Air Force airlifted almost all of the personnel with the help of a C-17 aircraft to Germany, leaving behind only the most essential employees. (ANI)
Feds issue emergency alert ordering law enforcement to prepare for attack
August 9, 2013
Click on image to read PDF.
Law enforcement agencies in Texas have received a special threat advisory based on information provided by the Department of Homeland Security indicating Austin, Texas, has been singled out for a terrorist attack on Friday, August 9. Pasadena, California, is also mentioned in the advisory.
The document was Read more…
A cop lost the file but a commuter found it and handed it to The Sun.
The shocking security blunder could have provided terrorists planning an attack with invaluable data.
A shamed senior cop has been carpeted.
The chief inspector in Scotland Yard’s Territorial Policing branch is said to be “hugely embarrassed” by the potentially serious blunder.
The dossier contained details that would have helped al-Qaeda terrorists mount a devastating attack on the Games in London this summer. “Restricted” files spell out security plans in place at the sites of events and provide minutes of top-level meetings where ways to beat terrorists were discussed.
The dossier contains dates and details of pre-Olympics rehearsals, explains emergency “lock-down” procedures and sets out plans to avoid traffic congestion.
Worryingly, names and mobile phone numbers of constables, sergeants and inspectors are included.
The dossier also reports at length on damning complaints from officers about the Read more…
The United States is reported to be expanding a secret drone program in east Africa and the Arabian peninsula in order to gather intelligence and strike al-Qaida-linked militants in Somalia and Yemen.
Citing U.S. defense officials, The Washington Post reported that the U.S. is building a new military installation to host the unmanned aircraft in Ethiopia, where drones can more easily attack members of the militant group al-Shabab that is fighting for control of neighboring Somalia.
The report also said the U.S. has re-opened a drone base in the Seychelles, an island nation in the Indian Ocean, where a small Read more…
MOSCOW, July 30 (RIA Novosti) – General Abdel Fatah Younes, the Libyan rebels’ top military commander, has been killed by his comrades after being arrested by rebel security forces on suspicion of treason, media reports said, quoting a rebel minister.
Younes and his two aides were killed on Thursday after being summoned to the rebel stronghold of Benghazi to appear before a judicial inquiry.
A rebel commander, who was arrested following the killing, confessed that he had ordered his lieutenants to kill Younes, Reuters quoted Ali Tarhouni, the rebel minister for oil, as telling journalists in Benghazi.
Abdel Fattah Younes, a member of the group behind the 1969 coup that brought Muammar Gaddafi to power, had been serving as the country’s interior minister before he defected and joined rebel forces in February, soon after the beginning of the uprising against Gaddafi’s 40-year authoritarian rule.
Rebel security forces suspected that some of Younes’ family members maintained contacts with Gaddafi, Al-Jazeera said.
Younes’ killing is seen as a sign of divisions within the opposition leadership and a blow for the Western alliance’s efforts to oust Gaddafi.
Gaddafi’s spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said on Friday that Al-Qaeda was behind Younes’ assassination.
“By this act, Al-Qaeda wanted to mark out its presence and its influence in this region” of eastern Libya controlled by the rebels, Ibrahim was quoted by Al-Jazeera as telling reporters. “It is Al-Qaeda that has the power in the east.”
ISLAMABAD — Pakistan threatened Tuesday to pull back troops from the Afghan border in response to US aid cuts, defying American demands to open new fronts in the war on Al-Qaeda and escalating tensions with Washington.
“I think the next step is, the government or the armed forces will move the soldiers from the border areas,” Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar told the English-language Express 24/7 television.
“If at all things become difficult, we will just get our armed forces back.”
The United States confirmed Sunday that it had decided to withhold a third of its annual $2.7 billion security assistance to Islamabad, bringing relations to a new low after the covert American raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
Cuts of $800 million reportedly include about $300 million used to reimburse Pakistan for some costs of deploying more than 100,000 soldiers along the Afghan border, a hotbed of Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked militants.
“We cannot afford to keep our military… it costs you extra amount of money when you are having soldiers in the mountains, so we will definitely use that tool,” Mukhtar said.
The military did not Read more…