Mohammed Kadhafi, Kadhafi’s eldest son, and brother Seif al-Islam, who was regarded as the veteran leader’s intended successor, were arrested on Sunday as rebels seized control of large swathes of Tripoli.
But Mohammed was apparently taken by “maybe Kadhafi’s forces,” Libyan Ambassador Ali Suleiman Aujali with the Libyan rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) told CNN in announcing the escape.
A senior rebel source confirmed the escape to AFP, saying “Yes, it’s true, he has escaped.” The source in the rebel capital of Benghazi, eastern Libya, spoke on Read more…
Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has been captured and is being held, the International Criminal Court (ICC) has announced.
Earlier a spokesman for the Libyan government said on state television that Gaddafi, the country’s leader for 41 years, had asked NATO to convince the rebel forces to halt their attack on Tripoli.
He said the leader was prepared to negotiate directly with the head of the rebel National Transitional Council.
Around 1300 people have been killed in fighting in Tripoli.
The dramatic developments come after rebel fighters streamed into the outskirts of the Libyan capital with little sign of resistance, despite an earlier call by Gaddafi for citizens to take up arms and Read more…
WASHINGTON (AP) — Libyan government forces tapped into their stores of Scud missiles this weekend, firing one for the first time in this year’s conflict with rebels, but hurting no one, U.S. defense officials said Monday.
The missile launch was detected by U.S. forces shortly after midnight Sunday and the Scud landed in the desert about 50 miles outside Brega, said one official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss military operations.
Rebel and regime forces have battled over the strategic port city of Brega throughout the conflict, and control has swung back and forth between the two sides.
The strike comes as rebel forces continue to advance, working in recent days to block key supply routes around Tripoli. The Obama administration said Monday that it is encouraged by recent rebel progress, but stopped short of predicting victory for the opposition forces after months of inconclusive battles.
According to the military, the Scud missile was launched from Read more…
MOSCOW, July 30 (RIA Novosti) – General Abdel Fatah Younes, the Libyan rebels’ top military commander, has been killed by his comrades after being arrested by rebel security forces on suspicion of treason, media reports said, quoting a rebel minister.
Younes and his two aides were killed on Thursday after being summoned to the rebel stronghold of Benghazi to appear before a judicial inquiry.
A rebel commander, who was arrested following the killing, confessed that he had ordered his lieutenants to kill Younes, Reuters quoted Ali Tarhouni, the rebel minister for oil, as telling journalists in Benghazi.
Abdel Fattah Younes, a member of the group behind the 1969 coup that brought Muammar Gaddafi to power, had been serving as the country’s interior minister before he defected and joined rebel forces in February, soon after the beginning of the uprising against Gaddafi’s 40-year authoritarian rule.
Rebel security forces suspected that some of Younes’ family members maintained contacts with Gaddafi, Al-Jazeera said.
Younes’ killing is seen as a sign of divisions within the opposition leadership and a blow for the Western alliance’s efforts to oust Gaddafi.
Gaddafi’s spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said on Friday that Al-Qaeda was behind Younes’ assassination.
“By this act, Al-Qaeda wanted to mark out its presence and its influence in this region” of eastern Libya controlled by the rebels, Ibrahim was quoted by Al-Jazeera as telling reporters. “It is Al-Qaeda that has the power in the east.”
It is hypocritical to celebrate pro-democracy protests while ignoring flagrant acts of racism and rights violations
When Libyan rebels intercepted and seized a British intelligence and Special Forces unit in early March, the matter was handled with a sense of urgency and diplomacy. While all eight members of the SAS unit were reportedly released ‘unharmed’, black Africans haven’t been so lucky.
Since the popular Libyan uprising began in February, the widespread targeting of people merely because of their skin colour has gone largely unreported. Few were interested in tainting the image they had constructed of the Libyan revolution, fearing perhaps that such criticism could give credence to Muammar Gaddafi’s violent efforts to suppress democracy. However, the story involves more than simple attempts at keeping a revolution uncontaminated by ‘suspicious’ characters (who just happen to be mostly black Africans).
While Libya is an Arab and African country, it also comprises black Read more…
In a piece entitled, US and NATO prepare final assault on Qaddafi, DebkaFile cites military sources for its contention that NATO powers are finalizing plans for a “large-scale, all-out military bid to kill or oust” Colonel Gaddafi.
“The coming coup de grace, expected in the next couple of weeks, is the hottest topic of discussion in the corridors of power and high-level military and intelligence get-togethers in London, Paris, Brussels, Moscow, Oslo, The Hague and Rome. It is expected to start in a couple of weeks with French and British troop landings on Libyan soil, to be followed in its last stages of by Read more…
Cherif Bassiouni, who led a U.N. Human Rights Council mission to Tripoli and rebel-held areas in late April, says between 10,000 to 15,000 people have been killed since NATO began bombing the country.
“His panel found evidence of war crimes by Gaddafi forces, including attacks on civilians, aid workers, and medical units. Aircraft, tanks, artillery, Grad rockets, snipers were used. It also found some evidence of crimes by opposition forces,” reports Reuters. “Libya has denied the charges and accused rebels of butchery and cannibalism.”
Nowhere in the report is mentioned the toll on civilians. It would seem, according to the globalists at the United Nations, civilians are not killed during massive bombing campaigns conducted in densely populated cities such as Tripoli.
The corporate media usually dismisses Read more…
The United States on Monday suggested it is using the current weak position of the Syrian government on the world stage to try to pressure it into dropping its support for Hezbollah, the extremist organization in Lebanon.
In an interview with the US-funded Radio Sawa, US Ambassador to Syria Robert Ford said the US is demanding from the Syrian government that it immediately cease its assistance to Hezbollah and treat Lebanon as a friendly and sovereign country.
Aside from that development, however, the US – like much of the international community – appears to have adopted a muted response to Syria in the wake of its continuing crackdown on dissidents.
WASHINGTON – The cost of the air war in Libya for the US military has reached $608 million, a US defense official said Monday.
The cost estimate covers the period from the start of international air strikes in Libya on March 19 to April 4, the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told reporters.
US officials previously had said the operation had cost $550 million through March 28.
The Pentagon has estimated the air campaign will cost the United States about $40 million a month, even after NATO allies took the lead in the UN-mandated operation designed to protect civilians against Moamer Kadhafi’s forces.
For the US Air Force alone, the war costs about $4 million a day, the top civilian in the air force told reporters last week.
But Air Force Secretary Michael Donley said he expected that figure to come down with European allies carrying out bombing raids while US aircraft play a support role.
It’s just a matter of time before foreign ground troops arrive…
Libyan rebels retreating from their positions outside the oil town of Brega and facing heavy fighting elsewhere in the country have accused NATO forces of not providing enough air support and failing to protect civilians.
The complaint comes as international players involved in Libya increase their efforts to resolve the situation through diplomatic means. Many rebels say the coalition’s shift to negotiations has led to a decline in NATO’s military campaign, a move that rebels say is costing lives.
Gen. Abdul Fattah Younis, Libya’s rebel commander and Col. Muammar Qaddafi’s former interior minister, said NATO forces were “not doing anything.” He complained that an overly bureaucratic process has created a system that keeps NATO jets from responding to developing situations for hours. He also faulted NATO for limited actions in Misratah, the only large city in western Libya still under the control of antigovernment forces, which he said were at risk for “extermination.”
“If NATO should wait another week, there will be no more Misratah,” said General Younis in an article by BBC. “You will not find anyone.”
Younis’s sentiments run deep amid the rank and file of the Libyan rebels. After suffering their first major territorial loss to government forces in almost a week, many rebels say they felt let down by NATO, reports The Wall Street Journal. Rebels had held Read more…