Gaddafi’s son Mohammed escapes from Libyan rebels
Mohammed Kadhafi, Kadhafi’s eldest son, and brother Seif al-Islam, who was regarded as the veteran leader’s intended successor, were arrested on Sunday as rebels seized control of large swathes of Tripoli.
But Mohammed was apparently taken by “maybe Kadhafi’s forces,” Libyan Ambassador Ali Suleiman Aujali with the Libyan rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) told CNN in announcing the escape.
A senior rebel source confirmed the escape to AFP, saying “Yes, it’s true, he has escaped.” The source in the rebel capital of Benghazi, eastern Libya, spoke on condition of anonymity.
“Mohammed and Seif al-Islam are under the control of our revolutionaries and are in a safe hands,” rebel leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil had told a press conference in Benghazi earlier on Monday.
On Sunday night, Al-Jazeera was broadcasting a telephone interview with Mohammed Kadhafi from his Tripoli home when it was overrun by rebels. Panicked as gunshots rang out, he was heard praying on the line.
He is regarded as a leading businessman rather than a political figure in Kadhafi’s regime.
Moamer Kadhafi’s other son Seif al-Islam was still in custody and to be transferred to The Hague to face charges of crimes against humanity, according to a court spokesman.