China’s gold import surge
The Chinese state could be behind a surge in bullion imports that will see China overtake India as the world’s largest consumer of gold, according to one of the sector’s most influential investors.
Evy Hambro, chief investment officer of BlackRock’s Natural Resources Equity team, said the investment community had been surprised by the amount of gold flowing into China given its position as the world’s biggest gold producer.
“The total amount of gold being consumed in China is a gigantic quantum and you have to wonder where that gold is going,” he said in an interview with the Financial Times. “Is it going on to wrists, ears and necks or is it going into state reserves?”
The People’s Bank of China has not provided an update on its bullion reserves since 2009, when it reported a holding of 1,054 tonnes. But the suspicion among some analysts is that China’s central bank has purchased up to 300 tonnes of gold this year.
If there was “clarity” on imports, Mr Hambro said it could provide a prop for the gold price, which has fallen sharply this year.
“I think we will need some clarity and that will really set the tone for gold in China in 2014,” he said. ”If it does start to show that some of it has gone into state hands that will be very supportive for the gold market.”
Bullion has lost more than a quarter of its value this year, falling from
- The Last, Great Run For The U.S. Dollar, The Death Of The Euro And 74 Trillion In Currency Derivatives At Risk
- Are you ‘over-connected’?
- Earth-directed solar X-flare March 11
- Rate Of Climate Change To Soar By 2020s, With Arctic Warming 1°F Per Decade
- American Millennials Are Some Of The World’s Least Skilled People, Study Finds
- Russia and North Korea forge ‘year of friendship’ pariah alliance
- March 2015
- February 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- September 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- August 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
Top Posts & Pages
- THE TRUTH BEHIND FRATERNITIES AND SORORITIES
- Startling Statistics on Excessive Video Game Use in Children
- Nibiru planet X 2012 PROOF of Government conspiracy
- Nuclear Targets in America
- Sphere Sculptures Across the Globe
- NIBIRU,PLANET X Admitted by Scientists – NASA shuts down Space Telescope ‘WISE’!!
- The What? And Why? Of Rare Earth Metals
- Two New Elements Added To Periodic Table: Ununquadium And Ununhexium-Elements with Atomic Number 114 and 116
- Russian Threats of Nuclear War Grow Louder
- A Gigantic Pyramid on Ocean Sea Floor in Bermuda Triangle?
- 1,251,694 hits