Chart Of The Day: Chinese November Gold Imports Soar To 91 Tons; 2012 Total 720 Tons
Regular readers are familiar with our monthly series showing the inexorable surge in Chinese gold imports. It is time for the November update, and it’s a doozy: at 90.8 tons, this was the second highest gross import number of 2012, double the 47 tons imported in October (which many saw, incorrectly, as an indication of China’s waning interest in the yellow metal), and brings the Year to Date total to a massive 720 tons of gold through November. If last year is any indication, the December total will be roughly the same amount, and will bring the total 2012 import amount to over 800 tons, double the 392.6 tons imported in 2011.
Indicatively, should the full year total import number indeed print in the 800 tons range, it will mean that in one year China, whose official reserve holdings are still a negligible 1054 (and realistically at least double, if not triple, this number), will have imported more gold than the official holdings of Japan, last pegged at 765.2 tons (and well more than the ECB’s 502.1 tons).
Finally, putting the November import number in context, so far in 2012 China has bought some $39 billion worth of gold. How many US Treasurys has China bought in the same time period? Under $10 billion.
Finally, let’s not forget that recently China surpassed South Africa as the world’s biggest producer of gold with annual output in the hundreds of tons. Add the net imports number to this total (which amounted to some 281 tons in 2012 according to Bloomberg) and one can get a sense of how big China’s appetite for hard assets, instead of trillion dollar coin-backed “promises of repayment”, has become.
- RT @roryireland: Pretty amazing #tech ability. Goodbye biometrics as a useful tool...Pulling fingerprints from photographs. #infosec #techn… 1 hour ago
- If it's not made in China, it will be SOLD to China... @businessinsider #China #dollars #economy More control on m… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 14 hours ago
- The Last, Great Run For The U.S. Dollar, The Death Of The Euro And 74 Trillion In Currency Derivatives At Risk
- Are you ‘over-connected’?
- Earth-directed solar X-flare March 11
- Rate Of Climate Change To Soar By 2020s, With Arctic Warming 1°F Per Decade
- American Millennials Are Some Of The World’s Least Skilled People, Study Finds
- Russia and North Korea forge ‘year of friendship’ pariah alliance
- March 2015
- February 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- September 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- August 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
Top Posts & Pages
- THE TRUTH BEHIND FRATERNITIES AND SORORITIES
- Nuclear Targets in America
- What Is US Patent 6506148? Electromagnetic Mind Manipulation?
- Strange Energy From Galactic Center Bombarding Earth
- Sphere Sculptures Across the Globe
- A Gigantic Pyramid on Ocean Sea Floor in Bermuda Triangle?
- Startling Statistics on Excessive Video Game Use in Children
- China warns US to be 'careful' in military refocus on Asia
- THE POWER OF HAARP
- US NAVY MAP of the FUTURE – is this NOW??
- 1,238,693 hits